Sunday, May 18, 2014

An End to Deprivation

A few hours ago, I returned home from taking part in my first wood firing at Baltimore Clayworks.  I took the late night shift, and have been unable to sleep much yet.  The fact is that returning to pottery after over a decade away from the wheel has me incredibly excited, and the opportunity last night to bust my butt doing something I love has me a little high.  And far too awake.

Had I lived in another time and place, I think pottery would have been my life's work.  At least I like to think so.  I discovered it in my early 20's, and took classes and worked at night at Lill Street in Chicago (back when it was actually on Lill Street) for a few years.  It was my passion and my love.  I dreamed of clay and passed time at my day job daydreaming of it, and even considered returning to college to study ceramics.  Then I had to quit.

That was 2003.  It was an injury not related to working clay, but it took a couple of years to sort out.  By that time, I had a mortgage and was going to night school in another field.  No time for pottery.  But I still dreamed of the clay.

These 10 years later, I'm married with two small children and live in Maryland.  As a (mostly) stay at home mom, I need some time on a regular basis to clear out my brain and do something with other adults.  So, my husband and I decided I'd start taking a pottery class at Glen Echo Pottery here in the DC area.  I'm back, an end to 10 years deprivation.

When I get a bit more of this excitement out of my system, I'll try to rest.  And to dream of clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment